Have you ever wanted to impress your friends with your knowledge without doing that much research? Here is the answer! Not only is this motor easy to build, it also leads to more impressive inventions!
Simple Homo-polar Motor
Task 1: Task 1: Get your materials
- 2 magnets
- a 1.5 volt battery
- 10 cm copper wire
Task 2: Task 2: Assemble battery and magnets
- Place the magnets so that they attract to each other
- Put them on an end of the battery so that they attract. Either end will work, but I have found that if you put the magnets on the positive side of the battery it goes faster, but both sides work fine
- Make the battery stand up on vertically so that it looks like the picture
- try to balance it so that the magnets are directly in the middle
Task 3: Task 3: Add Wire
- Bend the copper wire so that it will be able to balance on top of the wire
- curl in the ends so that tips of the wire touch the magnets
- Place wire on top of battery so that it is in the middle of the battery. This may be hard, but the key is to balance both sides of the wire
Task 4: Task 4: Watch your motor run!
If done properly, your motor should be spinning around the battery. You will know if you have done it right if it acquires no assistance to get started. Congratulations. It is time to go impress your friends with your simple motor!
Simple Homo-polar Motor – Task #4